Friday, February 28, 2014

A night out of character for me....

Let's start off by getting one thing straight, I don't often skip a Masonic event for anything. One year for Christmas I was given a sign which read MASONIC LODGE to put on the front door of the house so maybe I would be home a little more. Over the past 20 years, I've AVERAGED over 400 fraternal events a year. Needless to say I'm dedicated to the jobs I sign up to do. Last night we had a discussion meeting on the potential sale of our building at the Shrine in Dayton as someone has put in a bid to buy the building. I planned to go but last night was also the 3rd round of the High School Basketball play-offs of which Miamisburg was in it. As this is my hometown, the High School Basketball team my daughter cheers for, the High School I graduated from and believe it or not I try to actively support outside of the Masonic fraternity, I decided I would go to the game. And what a game it was. They played their hearts out and as the #54 ranked team playing the #9 ranked team in the state(who had only lost to the #2 ranked team) they were heavy underdogs. While in the school history I think this may be only the second time they even made the playoffs(and then did not win a playoff game), they played tonight as if none of that mattered. In fact for most of the first half they led the game. And while I rarely blame officials for losing a game, the officials went blind when it came to calling fouls under the basket and Trotwood was allowed to get away with foul after foul which even in the schoolyard without officials you would have called. And while Miamisburg in the second half didn't shoot as well as they could have, the two pure scorers on Trotwood got hot and helped them on to victory, so Miamisburg is done for the year. By the time the game was over and I would be able to get out of the arena, it was going to be too late to attend the building sale meeting. So the next time I'm told at a Masonic meeting don't you ever stay home, I'll say yeh I remember that one night I actually skipped a Masonic meeting for a life event.

No comments:

Post a Comment