Thursday, December 11, 2014

Lloyd Cole viewing

Today was the viewing for a Past High Priest and Past Master of my Lodge. Lloyd though had something a little different than most he was blind and despite this did all his own floorwork and was a superior ritualist. In addition, he was the Worshipful Master who asked me to start in line back in 1985. Most probably never knew he was blind as he never missed a beat on the floorwork and conducted the candidates as Senior Deacon like he was not blind. He also marched one year with us in Commandery and actually did the sword manual. Unfortunately around 15 years ago he started int he early stages of Alzheimer's and progressed very quickly to the point where he didn't recognize people. He had to move into a nursing home and has lived there since that time. Everyone who ever met him loved him and his quick wit and great humor was something I will never forget....but the one thing that I will always remember was he never missed a funeral. I asked him why he went out of his way and he said "it is the last thing you will ever get to do for that brother and I never want to regret not doing what I could for him". It has always stuck with me and is something I try to do whenever possible myself. So long friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment