Friday, September 5, 2014

A Good Lesson

Early on in life I was told in order to be successful study those around you who are successful and read about how others in the past who became successful if you want to be successful yourself. Wise council I will have to admit but I will also share one additional item which the Brother we did the service for tonight proves just as important. Tonight was the Lodge Service for Brother Leon Brewer. Now some of what I say folks may think is insensitive but I only say it to prove a point and as an important lesson to all. Leon was a very good Mason and a man but he often had difficulty expressing what he wanted to say to folks so they understood him. He had difficulty learning the ritual and wasn't always the most organized but Leon taught me something that was as important as all the advice I every received from the smartest and most learned men and women. Leon taught me that putting your whole heart into all you do is just as important as the training and intelligence you bring to the table. I don't think anyone could every say Leon didn't do everything he could to help out. In the Tall Cedars, Leon proved that heart and not taking no for an answer could some times be more important than "doing things the normal way". He helped raise more money to give to the kids than probably anyone else every did from our local. As High Priest of our Chapter, he struggled with the ritual but it didn't stop him from trying to put on activities which were fun for the members. He made those around him want to help him to be successful. I don't think Leon ever did anything to promote Leon but rather as a selfless way to help out others around him. This is a lesson which can't be taught in classes, books and training but rather you have to experience it to understand the importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment