Monday, August 18, 2014

Funeral Service

Normally, I stick to writing about my thoughts and Masonic related activities but tonight I want to write about a funeral I attended for another fraternal non-Masonic group I belong. The lesson here that I will talk about though is also something important we should all remember in our Masonic organization. My father-in-law (who died around 8 years ago) was a lifetime member of this group and he was an officer with the gentleman we had the service for this evening. When my father-in-law was alive if there was an old time member who couldn't pay his dues, if the Lodge couldn't afford to help the member out, my father-in-law would pay his dues. When he passed away since Pam took over the job my father-in-law had for many years as the Secretary, we decided it would be our duty to carry on the tradition my father-in-law had started. Unfortunately this year this gentleman's family felt that since he had Alzheimer's they wouldn't pay his dues. Since he was a 65 year member and Past Presiding officer we helped him out. Not to brag but rather to say when he passed away this evening and we did the service for him, I think it meant as much to our members to get to do the service as it did to the family members and his friends who attended. It would have really been a shame to not be able to perform the service this evening on someone who the organization had meant more to him than anything outside of his family.

No comments:

Post a Comment