Friday, March 25, 2016

Sometime Positive Things Come When You Least Expect Them

This week (through the weekend at least) was mainly reserved to work on getting mom's house ready for sale. Over the years she let us do little to get it ready (or cleaned up) so we knew we had a massive job ahead of us. Mom was one who never wanted to part with anything as she did LOTS of craft projects so she saved everything to make crafts out of them from plastic milk jugs to paper towel rolls to juice containers. In addition, she saved lots of memories most people might just discard from my first bank book, (an account started when I was born and long since closed), the doctor bills from when I was born and over the next few weeks as mom went back for check-ups, to the boxes from old birthday presents we gave to her and dad (who passed away almost 20 years ago). We found items from the years while mom was growing up from old Rainbow dues cards to an appointment to a fashion board (which is funny as we never saw her wear any make-up and mostly just working jeans), to a program from grade school where she played a very minor non-speaking part in a play. (I also figured out where I get me obsession with keeping records of everything I do on a daily basis which I have done since 1985. I found calendars back to 1968 marked with every activity and appointment from every day of the year.) We also found programs, pictures and mementos from almost everything the three of us did growing up. While most of our vacations growing up, as we rarely went more than 50 miles from the house, involved helping out at home or on my grandfathers farm with bigger projects and we almost never ate out and rarely had anything new and all three of us kids thought we were poor; it is obvious that we were not at least in the things which really count and can't be measured in dollars and cents. It is like the largest scrap book of every day of our lives. While the job is going to spill over well past the end of this week, we are making progress. It has also brought my two sisters and I closer as we find treasurers (not much of monetary value) around every corner to share our lives growing up together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment